Thursday, February 12, 2015


Hi guys!
Today I wanted to share with you the creative approach I took in composing this clay art piece, as well as a few tips and tricks to ensure your process is as enjoyable as possible.
When brainstorming, I find it helpful to consider a few vital aspects of your art piece. First, make sure the media you've chosen to pursue is one you will enjoy working with! For me, clay was an ideal choice because of its flexibility and texture. Of course, as with any time consuming art piece, working with a single type of media can become tedious. Thus, to to prevent a psychological meltdown, choose a media that you find most agreeable. Also remember that it's okay to take breaks! If you find yourself frustrated with working with a certain media day after day, make sure you allow yourself time to work on other small projects. This will not only provide an outlet for the stress that a major project can cause, but also helps to keep your creative juices flowing.
Another thing to consider is what you are creating. This may seem silly, but often times we get so caught up in the process that we forget what goal we are trying to accomplish. Personally, I enjoy using animals for subject matter, because I find they create both aesthetically pleasing and personal art. What I'm trying to relate is this: if you pursue a subject or idea you find truly beautiful or interesting, it will be easier and more enjoyable to create. Although it was difficult to create the form of my Antelope piece, I felt more motivated to form it accurately in order to do its justice. The end result it much more rewarding when you can appreciate the beauty of the subject matter you have created.
Lastly, don't be afraid to make mistakes and take your time. I'll be super cliché for a moment, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Although often times we have to make deadlines for ourselves, sometimes its best to let the art decide when it's done. Only, you can decide when something truly satisfies your expectations. Don't be scared to challenge yourself, even if it means your art will be more time consuming. Furthermore, mistakes are unavoidable. No one goes through the creative process with out flubbing one way or another. What really matters is how you let those mistakes shape your art and effect your overall outcome. Often times, mistakes can actually play to your benefit and help you to view your art in a different light. In my circumstances, I am not even able to express to you  the frustration of watching the antlers tumble to the floor repeatedly, but in the end, I felt that the form I created satisfied the goal I aimed to accomplish. Remember, as the wise Bob Ross once said, "there are no mistakes, just happy accidents".
I hope these suggestions will help guide you on your next major art project! 
- Maddie Malone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

About

My photo
This is the SACS Fine Arts blog where you will get the week-to-week scoop about what's happening in various fine arts classes. There are a plethora of posts from "How-To's" to "#tbt" to just general "what's happening". Subscribe to get updates on new posts!